E.coli contaminates Welsh play area21st February 2012
A playing field at Trefriw in North Wales, which was created as part of a flood control system, is at risk of being infected by E. coli in times of flooding, a Conwy council report says.
The area was cordoned off in September when E. coli was detected, and part of it still remains closed.
Further monitoring will take place and a letter has been written to the local school advising of the dangers of trespassing in the affected play area.
Conwy council's Communities Scrutiny Committee will discuss a report on the issue later on Thursday. The report says: "It is anticipated that this issue will not be an isolated one and is likely to be repeated at each future flood episode."
Following flooding last September, standing water that remained was tested. The report says that the "level of E. coli present was indicative of contamination by sewage or animal faeces," and a steel fence was erected.
Following tests in November and December, the E. coli had dropped to "background levels" and the lower area was opened for play. The report added that the area will be cordoned off in future whenever flood waters recede from the river side of the play area until bacteria levels drop to an acceptable background quality.
1 of 46
A recent news article in the Environmental Health News indicates the concerns the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have over UK food safety being at risk, due to lack of staff. Food safety allocated posts supporte... ...read on
On the 29th December 2023 the FSA stated on their website “Chiltern Artisan recalls Chilli Sticks because of contamination with E. Coli. Chiltern Artisan has taken the precautionary step of recalling Chiltern Artisan Chilli Sticks because E. Coli has been fo... ...read on
Amy Douglas, Incident Director for Gastrointestinal Infections and Food Safety Division at UKHSA, said: "There have been at least 30 confirmed cases of this specific outbreak strain of STEC in the UK." - Link below. ... ...read on
The recall for Route des Terroirs is recalling Morbier Maison Monts & Terroirs Chalet De Vevy Raw Cows’ Milk Cheese because Shiga toxin-producing E.coli has been found in some batches of this product. This recall was announced today 25/12/2023. ... ...read on
Information Rights Team ... ...read on
1 of 46