Food composting firm suspends the intake of food waste30th July 2012
A food composting firm previously fined over pollution has been told to stop taking in waste after the Environment Agency found E.coli and salmonella on its site. The Environment Agency says there is a serious risk of pollution at Wormtech, Caerwent.
A substance known as leachate (which is produced by the composting process) was found leaking from the wall of a building used for food waste deliveries, and coming off the back of a compost mound. Samples taken from leachate on the site found high levels of ammoniacal nitrogen, which is toxic to fish at low levels. E.coli and salmonella were also detected.
The agency has served a notice suspending Wormtech’s environment permit effective immediately, meaning it cannot bring any waste until it proves it has sealed its buildings.
Wormtech handles 10,000 tonnes of food and green waste a year for the Torfaen and Blaenau Gwent councils, as well as food waste for Monmouthshire.
All three councils say they are finding or already have alternative arrangements in place.
The move comes after the agency demanded improvements to one of Wormtech’s buildings over pollution concerns earlier this month.
It was fined £41,000 in May 2011 after polluting a water supply and forcing a Ministry of Defence training base into quarantine for three months.
1 of 46
A recent news article in the Environmental Health News indicates the concerns the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have over UK food safety being at risk, due to lack of staff. Food safety allocated posts supporte... ...read on
On the 29th December 2023 the FSA stated on their website “Chiltern Artisan recalls Chilli Sticks because of contamination with E. Coli. Chiltern Artisan has taken the precautionary step of recalling Chiltern Artisan Chilli Sticks because E. Coli has been fo... ...read on
Amy Douglas, Incident Director for Gastrointestinal Infections and Food Safety Division at UKHSA, said: "There have been at least 30 confirmed cases of this specific outbreak strain of STEC in the UK." - Link below. ... ...read on
The recall for Route des Terroirs is recalling Morbier Maison Monts & Terroirs Chalet De Vevy Raw Cows’ Milk Cheese because Shiga toxin-producing E.coli has been found in some batches of this product. This recall was announced today 25/12/2023. ... ...read on
Information Rights Team ... ...read on
1 of 46