York butcher banned from selling ready-to-eat meat18th July 2012
Environmental health officers were so alarmed by what they found when they inspected Shambles Butchers, in Little Shambles, that they immediately went to York magistrates for two emergency orders. These prohibit the shop from selling ready-to-eat food such as salami, pork pies and prepared meats. It can continue to sell raw meat and must ensure that a vacuum packing machine is used only for raw meat.
All cooked meat on display at the time of the visit was seized as potentially contaminated (although no E.coli was actually found in the shop) and magistrates ordered it to be destroyed.
Environmental Health Officers observed a member of staff moving from handling raw meat to handling ready-to-eat meat without changing aprons or washing his hands. He was allegedly wearing a dirty apron.
They also saw raw and cooked meat on display in the same display unit with only a plastic divider between them and the staff member lifting raw meat over cooked meat.
ready for immediate eating, such as Parma ham or pork pies, and it can only use a vacuum packing machine for raw meat. The shop can continue to sell raw meat.
1 of 46
A recent news article in the Environmental Health News indicates the concerns the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have over UK food safety being at risk, due to lack of staff. Food safety allocated posts supporte... ...read on
On the 29th December 2023 the FSA stated on their website “Chiltern Artisan recalls Chilli Sticks because of contamination with E. Coli. Chiltern Artisan has taken the precautionary step of recalling Chiltern Artisan Chilli Sticks because E. Coli has been fo... ...read on
Amy Douglas, Incident Director for Gastrointestinal Infections and Food Safety Division at UKHSA, said: "There have been at least 30 confirmed cases of this specific outbreak strain of STEC in the UK." - Link below. ... ...read on
The recall for Route des Terroirs is recalling Morbier Maison Monts & Terroirs Chalet De Vevy Raw Cows’ Milk Cheese because Shiga toxin-producing E.coli has been found in some batches of this product. This recall was announced today 25/12/2023. ... ...read on
Information Rights Team ... ...read on
1 of 46