Health Protection Agency Fined13th July 2010
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has been fined 25,000 for a spillage of E.coli O157 at its centre in Colindale, north London.
The Old Bailey heard that although nobody was infected, three employees were put at risk of contamination. Prosecutors described a "general complacency" about the way infectious waste was handled at the centre and judge, Martin Stephens, said the HPA should feel "acute embarrassment" over its failings.
The bug was being carried in bins which had defects, even though these faults had been noted 18 months earlier. Employees taking the bacteria to a disposal unit were not wearing protective clothing and prosecutor, Andrew Marshall, stated that there had been a complete lack of understanding of risk" when an initial assessment of the spillage was carried out by staff. Between 100ml and 200ml of liquid was spilt, containing up to 10bn E.coli organisms.
The HPA pleaded guilty to a breach of health and safety laws and the incident was reviewed by the Health and Safety Executive. This was a serious breach of the HPA's duty to ensure the health, safety, and welfare at work of all its employees. In this case practices for handling the bacterium safely, were not met, therefore exposing several staff and potentially their families to a real risk of infection.
1 of 46
A recent news article in the Environmental Health News indicates the concerns the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) have over UK food safety being at risk, due to lack of staff. Food safety allocated posts supporte... ...read on
On the 29th December 2023 the FSA stated on their website “Chiltern Artisan recalls Chilli Sticks because of contamination with E. Coli. Chiltern Artisan has taken the precautionary step of recalling Chiltern Artisan Chilli Sticks because E. Coli has been fo... ...read on
Amy Douglas, Incident Director for Gastrointestinal Infections and Food Safety Division at UKHSA, said: "There have been at least 30 confirmed cases of this specific outbreak strain of STEC in the UK." - Link below. ... ...read on
The recall for Route des Terroirs is recalling Morbier Maison Monts & Terroirs Chalet De Vevy Raw Cows’ Milk Cheese because Shiga toxin-producing E.coli has been found in some batches of this product. This recall was announced today 25/12/2023. ... ...read on
Information Rights Team ... ...read on
1 of 46